This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Income Tax after visa rejection

WaheedAhmad
Income Tax after visa rejection

Postby WaheedAhmad » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:58 pm

Hi guys
i am in a problem with HMRC
i was on HSMP visa and my visa renewal was due in 2015
i filled the renewal and Home Office rejects my visa extension, so i came back to my home country
but after this i am continuously receiving letters from HMRC as i have to pay the tax.
why i should pay any tax as i am not in the UK and do not have any activity there from which i could generate taxable income.

please help me out in this
as i have to write to the HMRC to tell them i am not in the UK and all this
or some thing else

any kind of help will be honored

Regards

AmanSood

Re: Income Tax after visa rejection

Postby AmanSood » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:46 am

Hi WaheedAhmed

Given you were on the HSMP visa, I assume you were working in the UK either employment or self employment? If you were in employment, then it could be the case that you may have underpaid tax if for example your employer did not deduct the right amount of tax from the payroll. Likewise, in the year you left (2015), you may be due a tax refund from HMRC. If you were in self employment, then you should have filed tax return to pay any tax due on income earned in the UK. So the underpayment will most likely relate to the period when you were working in the UK.

Hope this helps.

Aman
Advising on UK employment, expatriate and personal taxes
aman.sood@e-taxconsulting.com.
+44 (0) 207 846 0155

Return to “Income Tax”