This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Inheritance and Capital Gains Tax

Chris1012
Inheritance and Capital Gains Tax

Postby Chris1012 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:51 pm

During 2009 I wanted to acquire a property and as I was contracting through jobs I was unable to secure a mortgage, so my father bought a house in his name and made me a trustee along with my mother.
This house was his secondary house which he has never lived in.

Since 2009 the house that he bought for me is now freehold and the value has nearly trebled!

I now want to borrow against the the property to carry out some works that will cost around 100k.

The particular source of borrowing the money requires me to be a joint owner of the property.

My understanding is if I get my father to add me as a joint owner on the deeds, I will be liable for inheritance tax if my father passed away within 7 years and he would have to pay capital gains tax. Is this correct?

If so is there anyway round this?

maths

Re: Inheritance and Capital Gains Tax

Postby maths » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:22 pm

There appears to be a contradiction in your post.

If you are already a trustee with father and mother then each of you are already a joint legal owner and hence the three of you can mortgage the property.

The main issue is to ascertain who has a beneficial interest in the property?

The solicitors acting in 2009 should have asked how the three of you wanted to split the beneficial interest in the property.

Return to “Property Taxation”