This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Inheritance without full rights and SDLT

stefanoc
Inheritance without full rights and SDLT

Postby stefanoc » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:47 pm

Hello,
I am in the process of purchasing a flat and I am looking at Stamp Duty cost. I am Italian but I've been living and working in the UK for more than 4 years.
More than 3 years ago, one of my parents died and, according to Italian law, I inherited 1/6 of my parents house: 1/3 of my parent's half. The law gives the surviving parent the right to live in the house ("diritto di abitazione del coniuge superstite"). Considering that I don't have full ownership of my 1/6 of the house (for example I can't sell it), would this count as "Interest owned by an individual" ? Do I need to pay the higher tax rate for Stamp Duty?
The Italian law considers this an exception thus if I had to purchase an house in Italy, it would be considered "first house" with all the tax benefits derived.
Thank you very much for your help!

Best Regards,
Stefano

stefanoc

Re: Inheritance without full rights and SDLT

Postby stefanoc » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:26 am

A further clarification: I think my current situation is taken in consideration in 3.13A at page 10 of the document Higher rates for SDLT (https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... erties.pdf)
Where an individual is one of the legal owners of another dwelling (their name is
on the title at the Land Registry) but they have absolutely no beneficial interest in
that other dwelling, they will not own an interest in that other dwelling that meets
Condition C. This would have to be evidenced in writing. Any entitlement to
capital proceeds from the sale of the property, to income or to occupy the property
would be likely mean that they do have a beneficial interest.
In my base I am one of the legal owners but I don't have beneficial interest on the actual property.

Thanks,
Stefano

maths

Postby maths » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:16 pm

I cannot comment on any Italian law aspects but comparing what you have described to what would be the case here in the UK you would seem to have a remainder interest which would constitute a beneficial interest in land which means in principle the 3% SDLT additional charge applies.

maths

Postby maths » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:16 pm

I have assumed (which may not be correct) that your share is currently worth £40,000 or more.

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”