This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Interest on personal loans

Brightonian
Interest on personal loans

Postby Brightonian » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:35 pm

I am wondering if anyone can throw some light on this. I have a client who has made several loans in the past to friends. He charges interest and I have always shown the interest on the tax return as 'other income'. Previously it has not mattered where it was returned. However, with the changes to the taxation of interest, this will makie a difference in future. HMRC advise that interest received from peer to peer lending on a platform should go on the additional information pages. But my client is not using a platform. What do other advisers do in this situation? All help gratefully received.

Return to “Income Tax”