This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

IR35

lander
IR35

Postby lander » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:27 pm

I am an IT consultant in the private sector.

I supply services thro' my own company to other companies. I am not within IR 35, as I am sufficiently independent .

However, one of my clients wants me to become a director of his company, so that he has a UK resident on the paperwork. I will get no emoluments for this , but would continue as consultant.

Would this jeopardize my IR 35 status, please?

AmanSood

Re: IR35

Postby AmanSood » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:53 pm

becoming a board director shouldn't jeopardize your IR35 status, it would however increase the risk if HMRC were to review the arrangement and therefore it will be important to ensure that you have a separate contract in place for the Directorship. Also, if he wants a UK resident on the paperwork, it would be cleaner if your company was a director of his company as opposed to you personally being a director of his company.
Advising on UK employment, expatriate and personal taxes
aman.sood@e-taxconsulting.com.
+44 (0) 207 846 0155

RMC

Re: IR35

Postby RMC » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:04 pm

I think if HMRC look into it, there would be an IR35 problém. You cannot say that a director works for his own company as an independent contractor.

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”