This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Landlord who repairs properties but uses rental agent

billyg
Landlord who repairs properties but uses rental agent

Postby billyg » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:58 am

Hi all, Have I got this right that if I use a rental agent I can't claim for travel to and from my properties when I carry out repairs, decoration, meeting tradesmen for quotes and to carry out work etc ?

If so it seems very unfair ?

Thanks

maths

Re: Landlord who repairs properties but uses rental agent

Postby maths » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:46 pm

The deductibility of travel costs is a bit of a minefield.

Employing an estate agent to manage rental properties typically results in HMRC taking the view that travel from your home to the properties is not tax deductible. But travel costs from agent's office to properties is in principle deductible.

The apparent rationale seems to be that the office from which the business is conducted is the agent's office not your home.

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:37 pm

It depends on what the agent is authorised to do. If he just collects rents, then your travel is probably allowable. If he employs tradesmen to service the property then it's as "maths" says.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:09 pm

The Dr Samadian and Dr Jones decisions really threw travel into the melting pot. Taken literally, any travel from home to a regular or predicatable place is not allowable. Travel to a property you own is predictable, therefore. apparently, not allowable whether you engage an agent or not.

Return to “Property Taxation”