This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Maximising CGT allowances?

JOHNRE
Maximising CGT allowances?

Postby JOHNRE » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:37 am

Hello everyone, hope you can help.....
Back in 2014 my wife and I bought an apartment with a tenant in. As she was a non-taxpayer, we put the flat entirelty in her name. It is still tenanted and the income is below my wife's personal allowance. In a couple of years time we will be seeking to sell the property and need some guidance on how to maximise our CGT allowances whilst, at the same time, keeping the bulk of the income going to my wife (because I am very close to the 40% threshold). We also have a son and we would be happy to gift him a share of the apartment if we can then also use his CGT allowance.

I guess what I am asking is, are there any particular rules (HMRC or others), especially regarding ratios of ownership between the three of us, that we will need to follow to make sure that everything is done properly and the majority of the rental income still goes to Mrs JohnRe?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

John

maths

Re: Maximising CGT allowances?

Postby maths » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:37 pm

To mitigate any CGT charge on a future sale, whoever currently has legal title could execute a declaration of trust under which (for example) you give the greater proportion to your wife (be that 100%; 90% etc).

You could also include your son as appropriate.

JOHNRE

Postby JOHNRE » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:31 pm

Many thanks for the reply.......if my wife were to gift 5% of the flat to me and 5% to the son, would that mean all three of us could utilise our FULL CGT allowance when the flat is sold, despite not having equal %s?

Peter D

Postby Peter D » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:17 pm

It depends. Is a 5% share large enough to make a gain of more than £11,100 capital gain. I suggest not.
Whilst you can gift part of the property to your husband there are restrictions to your son's share. He may bump into SDLT issues.
Regards Peter

JOHNRE

Postby JOHNRE » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:47 pm

Thanks Peter, if she were to gift us both 33%, this would, presumably, mean we could all use our full CGT allowances at the point of sale? However, would that mean that, in the meantime, any rental income from the flat would also have to be equally apportioned for tax purposes?

JOHNRE

Postby JOHNRE » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:48 pm

Peter, could you possibly explain why my wife gifting part of the flat to our son would trigger stamp duty? Don't understand, sorry!

JOHNRE

Postby JOHNRE » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:52 pm

Peter, I should point out that the flat was bought for £240K and is currently worth about £260K and we will probably end up selling it for around £275K.

maths

Postby maths » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:27 pm

An SDLT charge could only possibly arise if the property was mortgaged; even then it can be simply circumnavigated.

Each person is entitled to offset the annual exempt amount.

Each person's rental entitlement would need to be in line with their beneficial interests. Rental income attributed to child's share (if he/she is a minor) will still be taxed on part of wife.

JOHNRE

Postby JOHNRE » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:12 pm

Thanks, Maths - from your knowledge, what is the relationship between equity ownership and the ability to utilise the annual CGT allowance? If, for example, one of the owners had 10% of the equity, would he/she only be allowed to claim their allowance against 10% of the capital growth of the asset? This is something that I do not understand......

maths

Postby maths » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:37 pm

EG
Property worth 200,000. Original cost 50,000. Owned by wife.

Wife gifts husband 10%.

Husband's base cost 5,000.
Husband's sale amount 20,000

Gain 15,000
Less exempt amount 11,100

Net gain 3,900.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”