This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Millage Claiming - Complicated?

MSlocombe
Millage Claiming - Complicated?

Postby MSlocombe » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:59 am

Hi

I am new to forestry work and I'm interested in finding out more about tax returns or relief for millage. I'll be driving an excavator in various forests, for different periods of time. I could be on one site for a a few months, then another for a few weeks. I will be moved from site to site continuously and I'm on a zero hour contract. Some times I might be in different areas within say Keilder forest, which covers over 250 square miles, but other times I'll be shipped of to other forests.

I've read about geographical areas, for instance people who work Keilder forest 100% of the time. If they move about within the 250 square miles, staying on each section of the site for less than 24 months then they could be entitled to claim millage from the edge of Keilder to the site, but not the commute to Keilder. On my current site that would be 3.5 mile commute to the forest drive, then 11 miles with in Keilder. 3.5 miles would be at my expense, but I'd be able to claim the other 11 miles.

Where do I stand with claiming millage:

When staying in Keilder for a period over 24 months, but on different sites within the 250 square miles changing every 8 months ?

When moving to and from different forests every few months?

Return to “General”