This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

moving to middle east

qatarexpat2
moving to middle east

Postby qatarexpat2 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:03 pm

hi

i would like to ask about my situation please

i am a self employed doctor in UK and i got a job offer to move to the middle east , most likely this will take place in August or September 17., the new job will be full time , the contract is for one year - renewable - very unlikely will come back after one year but will stay as long as i have the job.

my family will be coming with me , we have a house in the UK which we will keep, unlikely will rent it out , will just keep vacant for now.

my question is : if i leave in august or September of this year , will i pay UK tax on my new employment earnings in the Middle East ? i am aware of course that i will have to still do self assessment for my income from self employment from 06.04.2017 till i leave in august.

many thanks for your help

etf

Re: moving to middle east

Postby etf » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:11 pm

Hi qatarexpat2,

For your overseas earnings to escape UK tax, you will need to qualify as non-UK resident. This is normally achieved under the 3rd automatic overseas test which broadly requires your overseas employment to extend to close to 5 April 2019 (i.e. nearly a complete UK tax year, 6 April to 5 April, in full-time employment overseas). If this is possible, the split tax year provisions will probably also need to be considered for the UK tax year of your departure (2017/18).

If you remain UK resident throughout, you will probably need to budget to pay UK tax on your worldwide income.

KR

etf

www.theexpatriatetaxfactory.com

Return to “International Tax”