This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

National insurance contribution

Dreamer21
National insurance contribution

Postby Dreamer21 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:44 pm

Hello I hope someone can offer me some help.

I was self employed and have had to claim ESA contributions based, I've been refused as I haven't paid enough for 2016. Apparantly they take the last two years into account, 2015 is ok but as 2016 is not they have denied the award.

I called NI contributions they said I have a surplus in my account that hasn't been applied he was going to ask the investigations to transfer it over.
Apparantly there's a box I had to tick or Untick on the self assessment to pay my NI voluntarily even though I was entitled to an exemption (which I never applied for btw) so the funds I paid over were put against my NI number but not towards my class 2's. THATS MESSED UP BUT HE DID SAY THEY WILL HELP ME TO GET IT TRANSFERED.

I Call esa to be told I should be paying class 1 contributions!

I corrected him and said that's for employed people not self employed but he was adamant.

My question is I've read everywhere thst it's class 2 for SE and then class 4 on profits

Am I correct?

Excuse the way I've wrote the post I am severely disabled on enhanced care and mobility yet benefit is denied due to my hard earned money being put in a suspense account ?

Thabk you kindly

RMC

Re: National insurance contribution

Postby RMC » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:15 pm

Unfortunately only employees with 2 calendar years of full Class 1 contributions qualify for non-means tested ESA.
Voluntary Class 3 NICs are good for the state pension, if you would not have 35 years' contributions without it.

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”