This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Need a mentor- new practice

Nat2321302
Need a mentor- new practice

Postby Nat2321302 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:47 am

Hi all,

I have started a new practice from scratch last august and manage to get about 21 clients so far but still its not enough for me to quit my currect contract job.

I have a slight disadvantage - i,e I have a slight form of autism but with little bit of coaching I will do well and I am confident I can make it. Can I ask if some can be my mentor if possible- I wanted to ask what sort of networking should I go near my place Harrow .

I am also preparing leaflets to drop near my place in the next few days.

Some ideas will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Nathan

maths

Re: Need a mentor- new practice

Postby maths » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:50 pm

I suspect I'm not the best person to answer your posting. But if it helps......

I doubt that you will find a "mentor" on this Forum; but i may be wrong.

If you are a tax practitioner then in principle the main objective is to become as technically able as you can. Passing the exams of the CIOT is a start.

Reading as much as is humanly possible on tax matters in various professional journals is vital as is reading stuff on HMRC website.

Writing articles in tax journals is a good way of getting your name known in professional circles; and writing for local papers, mags etc on popular tax topics may generate business.

Leaflets are an option but don't get upset if you literally get no responses.

Getting existing clients to agree to recommend you to others is the easiest way of generating new clients (and cost effective); this means doing a bloody good job for your existing clients!!

It's all very hard work I'm afraid.

Good luck.

Return to “General”