This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Negligble Values Claims (NVC) - how long do they last?

yorkshirepsychologist
Negligble Values Claims (NVC) - how long do they last?

Postby yorkshirepsychologist » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:42 pm

Hi everyone,

New to this forum and not totally savvy on the whole tax/income world yet!

Basically I have a share portfolio which hasn't done very well, and also tax year I made a NVC for around 7k. This tax year, I need to make another for the value of around 4k.

My question is this: how long does the NVC 'last'. What I mean by this is how long can I retain the 'usefulness' of this before it is exempt from being used against further claims. Because when I submit m tax return for this year coming I will have a loss of around 11k to 'play with' I guess? Furthermore, how could I offset these claims against income (to presumably pay less tax?) and how do I go about doing this?

Sorry if this is a simple question or I have made it unnecessarily long, but any help/advice would be much appreciated.

pawncob

Re: Negligble Values Claims (NVC) - how long do they last?

Postby pawncob » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:17 pm

The normal claim time limit applies, but the quantified loss is carried forward indefinitely.
https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manual ... al/cg15813
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

LozaACCS

Re: Negligble Values Claims (NVC) - how long do they last?

Postby LozaACCS » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:06 pm

There is no restriction on when a NVC must be made but once it is triggered (by making the claim) then the loss must be utilised against the first available gains, in the first year of the claim in full against current year gains, in future years only to the extent that the Annual Exemption is not wasted.
Income tax relief is not normally available against capital losses, if however the shares qualified under the Enterprise Investment Scheme then relief is allowed against total income (S131 ITA 2007), the claim for the earlier period cannot be made after 31/01/17

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”