This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

NEW BUSINESS - "Hobby"

00jamie00
NEW BUSINESS - "Hobby"

Postby 00jamie00 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:28 pm

Hi

I am hoping for some advice and would appreciate any given.

Background : I am a higher rate tax payer currently employed full time and paid through PAYE from my employer.

Last year I started to photograph a few friends weddings and long story short I am now doing a few a year - paid. This "side" hobby / job will not earn more than maybe £8000 a year.

I have a wife at home - stay at home mum who is not using any of her tax allowances.

I want to declare this extra income correctly but am unsure of the most efficient way.

Do I register as self employed and declare my additional earnings - or can I declare all in my wife's name and use her allowance?

Could I "employ" her and ensure zero profits from my side but she gets paid but no more than her allowance etc - she is a graphic designer by trade and does edit my pictures and helps with diaries and planning etc ?

Any advice would be appreciated - thanks.

SteLacca

Re: NEW BUSINESS - "Hobby"

Postby SteLacca » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:39 pm

Yes, you need to register for self-assessment because you have income not taxed at source. You can't claim that your income is your wife's top avoid tax (that would be evasion, and so illegal).

Whilst you could employ your wife, if HMRC were to question the engagement you would have to be able to demonstrate that the employment is not artificial and that the wage paid is commensurate with her duties. You would also have the additional PAYE compliance to consider.

Return to “Business Tax”