This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

New IHT nil rate band.

maths
Re: New IHT nil rate band.

Postby maths » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:05 pm

AG, tell me about it !!

nokka

Postby nokka » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:31 pm

The more I read about the new RNRB the more ridiculously unfair it appears. I am struggling to understand why the rules appear to benefit those who have their wealth tied up in residential property. The more wealth you have in your main home the less tax the estate will pay compared to if your wealth is in other assets. This suggests people with identical sized estates will have a different IHT bill purely dependant on if they have an expensive house or not. The more expensive the house, the less tax you'll pay. Or that's how I read it - am I missing something ?

Or maybe this is just the Tory's giving those living in the South East a bigger tax break as houses there are more expensive than in other parts of the country. Whatever next - different levels of income tax based on where you live ?

Lambs

Postby Lambs » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:36 pm

You mean, say, if you're Scottish, for example?

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

Best, Lambs

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”