This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

offset rental income loss against property development gain?

triciajasmine2

Postby triciajasmine2 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:38 am

I am throughly confused now - I was convinced that CGT would apply when I sold the property! Can anyone point me in the direction of some professional help please!

gerard_somers@lineon

Postby gerard_somers@lineon » Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:02 am

Capital Gains Tax only applies to gains made on certain investments. You bought to sell at a profit - that's called "trading" and makes you liable to income tax. IF you had (say) inherited the property and then made a gain on sale, you would then have a Capital Gains Tax liability, but you did not.

King_Maker

Postby King_Maker » Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:14 am

You can use the “Find a Professional” link on the right hand side of your screen to see if there any suitable advisers in your area.

Return to “Property Taxation”