This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Offshore Income Gain puzzle

DavidTreitel
Offshore Income Gain puzzle

Postby DavidTreitel » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:01 pm

It has become increasingly common to meet clients who have sold non-UK mutual funds, ETFs and other non-UK investments where the gain needs to reported as an “offshore income gain”.
I was recently at one of those conferences where brilliant tax lawyers were explaining complicated bits of UK tax law; and I am sure I heard an eminent authority say that the CGT share matching rules (Taxation of Chargeable Gains Act (TCGA) 1992, s104) do not apply to offshore income gains.

Is this correct? If so, what are the share matching rules for disposals that give rise to an offshore income gain?

maths

Re: Offshore Income Gain puzzle

Postby maths » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:46 pm

The argument is that for individuals, investments in offshore funds fall outside pooling under TCGA 1992 s104(3) as they are "relevant securities" (TCGA 1992 s108).

However, company investors (ie for corporation tax purposes) the investments are relevant securities and are subject the s108 identification rules.

maths

Re: Offshore Income Gain puzzle

Postby maths » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:03 pm

If so, what are the share matching rules for disposals that give rise to an offshore income gain?
Sorry, missed this bit.

Probably TCGA 1992 s106A.

Return to “Income Tax”