This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Option to tax and connected party

spike418
Option to tax and connected party

Postby spike418 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:35 am

Good morning all.

The situation is that a husband and wife own a derelict commercial building.
They intend to vat register, opt to tax and refurbish the property as a commercial building.
The building will be let to a limited company who will be operating their trade consisting of both vatable supplies and vatable services.
The company is owned 100% by the husband and wife, but will not initially be vat registered. Although long term it probably will.
It is my understanding that because the company is making vatable supplies the option to tax will not be disapplied.
There are significant non tax reasons for the tenant trade being operated by a company. It would be prudent from an insurance perspective.

My main concern is the amount of rent to be charged by the husband and wife to the company. I accept that it must be more than a nominal amount but does it have to be market value?

les35

Re: Option to tax and connected party

Postby les35 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:09 pm

The connected party anti-avoidance issue applies where there are exempt supplies which the tenant makes. Where the rent is below market price, the more general anti-avoidance provisions would need to be considered. These are complex, and Sch 11A is the starting point. Although I would be surprised if they will apply in the situation you describe, I do suggest you have someone look at it more formally, so you receive clear written guidance.

Lavender2306

Re: Option to tax and connected party

Postby Lavender2306 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:52 am

Good morning all.

The situation is that a husband and wife own a derelict commercial building.
They intend to vat register, opt to tax and refurbish the property as a commercial building.
The building will be let to a limited company who will be operating their trade consisting of both vatable supplies and vatable services.
The company is owned 100% by the husband and wife, but will not initially be vat registered. Although long term it probably will.
It is my understanding that because the company is making vatable supplies the option to tax will not be disapplied.
There are significant non tax reasons for the tenant trade being operated by a company. It would be prudent from an insurance perspective.

My main concern is the amount of rent to be charged by the husband and wife to the company. I accept that it must be more than a nominal amount but does it have to be market value?
Let's establish the facts: a couple owns a commercial building which they intend to let to a Ltd co and they are 100% shareholders of that company? The company is not VAT registered.
If this is the case, then the option to tax will be disapplied. The reason: the grantor, the couple, and the Ltd co are connected persons. And the Ltd co is unregistered. So the amount charged is irrelevant here.
If the Ltd co registers for VAT then the option to tax will have effect.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”