This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Options on 2nd Property

Jp123
Options on 2nd Property

Postby Jp123 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:34 pm

Hi

Firstly apologies in posting a similar topic which has been discussed in depth but I could really do with some advice around my current situation and having read through a number of posts it doesn't quite answer the questions I have..

I currently own a property which was on a residential mortgage and was on consent to let, the mortgage on this is now up and will be moved to a BTL mortgage. I am now looking to buy a second property for myself and my partner as a home to live in, we are currently not married but will be in July - the aim is to complete prior to marriage. With the new tax rules enforced by the government I wanted to seek some advice around the best approach to the following questions:

Question 1 - I am aware that I will incur a "double" stamp duty rise due to buying the second property am I right in believing this can be claimed back if I sell property 1 before 3 years of completing property 2? (Despite it being on rent in the meantime)

Question 2 - With interest no longer being something we can offset tax with and being a higher banding tax payer due to my salary is there a way to shift the tax incurred on the property to my partner after marriage as she is in the lower tax bracket? My partner as no affiliation with property 1 i.e. She is not on the deeds or mortgage. Can this be done? If so how and what should I look at?

Question 3 - Should I consider putting the property through a business if the answers to question 2 is not suitable, assuming the property rental income is £800 with £400 profit after interest (simple maths) on a higher tax banding.

Any advice would be helpful!

Again apologies I know there is a number of posts on the above

Thanks

JP

maths

Re: Options on 2nd Property

Postby maths » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:23 pm

Q1 Yes.

Q2 You could execute a declaration of trust giving your wife an appropriate % of the property (this should help mitigate tax on rental income and on any future sale re CGT).

Return to “Property Taxation”