This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

paying income tax in 2 different countries

srlcee
paying income tax in 2 different countries

Postby srlcee » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:33 am

Very basic question here (I think...)

I am considering moving permanently to live and work overseas (australia).

If I received an income from a property let out in the uk, do the uk tax brackets apply. i.e. do I receive the £11.5k tax free allowance, then up to £45k at 20% rate, on any income made in the UK (which will effectively be only the property rental income).

Or does income made overseas get counted towards moving me into a certain tax bracket, for example I make in salary overseas equivalent to £45k meaning I immediately pay 40% tax on rental income made in the UK.

Thank you in advance.

AmanSood

Re: paying income tax in 2 different countries

Postby AmanSood » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:52 am

as a non-UK resident, only your UK sourced income should be reported and therefore the normal UK tax brackets apply.
Advising on UK employment, expatriate and personal taxes
aman.sood@e-taxconsulting.com.
+44 (0) 207 846 0155

Return to “Income Tax”