This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Pension contributions from unearned income.

erictheone
Pension contributions from unearned income.

Postby erictheone » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:17 pm

Probably a simple question for those who know about these things, but ......

I'm not retired (age 54 and UK resident) but voluntarily not going to be in employment for maybe a year or two. My income is interest from bank deposits, dividends, capital gains in investments, etc. I'm setting up a SIPP, primarily to transfer an old DB company pension into. Once that's set up, can I contribute to the SIPP from my current "unearned" income sources, and from accumulated savings? And, if so, do I get tax relief on the contributions in the normal way? Or can contributions and tax relief only come from employment income?

Struggles to find an answer elsewhere online.

MichCat

Re: Pension contributions from unearned income.

Postby MichCat » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:23 pm

You are allowed to contribute £2,880 p.a. (£3,600 including the basic rate tax relief) regardless of income. To be able to claim tax relief beyond this, the contribution must come only from earned income.

erictheone

Re: Pension contributions from unearned income.

Postby erictheone » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:21 am

Many thanks, MichCat, for clear and helpful reply.

Return to “Savings & Investments, Pensions & Retirement”