This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Pension Scam drawdown

Mrs Brown
Pension Scam drawdown

Postby Mrs Brown » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:49 am

4 years ago myself and my husband were introduced to a guy who 'could access money from our pension' - yes I know what you're thinking!! He was IFA registered on his paperwork, all seemed above board, albeit, we trusted too many people and I know what I know now, so please don't refer to why we did what we did- its done!
Anyway we are currently in negotiations with HMRC who want a ton of money from us for the 55% tax we are no having to pay on the 'draw down' . I have 3 years of unused tax allowance where I wasn't working as I was caring for my mother and my grandmother who had dementia. Is it possible that I could use these three years of unused tax allowance to cover the 55% tax on my pension ? If not how long will HMRC generally negotiate payment on this sort of thing? My husband was diagnosed with cancer last year and hasn't worked for 8 months, his prognosis is good, but we are struggling big style! TIA

LozaACCS

Re: Pension Scam drawdown

Postby LozaACCS » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:32 am

You cannot carry the unused personal allowance forward.
It would be difficult to advise on the draw down, details would be required of the arrangement, ie was it an annuity, an income draw down or a fixed sum in connection with the commencement of benefits.
The scheme rules are important (particularly regarding your husbands illness) and the dates involved since the legislation has changed frequently.
I would instruct an accountant/adviser who understands pensions,(you should be specific in this) to deal with HMRC on your behalf

Return to “Savings & Investments, Pensions & Retirement”