This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Entering redundancy payments - On Line Self assessment form

perseus
Entering redundancy payments - On Line Self assessment form

Postby perseus » Mon May 17, 2010 1:51 pm

Would someone be kind aenough to help with this

I have placed the gross redundancy amount ignoring the first tax free 30k, in section 4 'Tips and other payments not on your P60' section. Is this correct?

Should this be the gross or net redundancy payment?

At the moment it is calculating a whopping great tax bill for this despite that I should receive relief through private pension payments!

JRG

Re: Entering redundancy payments - On Line Self assessment form

Postby JRG » Tue May 18, 2010 1:55 am

Redundancy payments should be entered on supplementary form SA101.

Go to the HMRC web address: http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kbroker/hmrc ... ormId=3180
and refer to SA101 (Supplementary Pages) PDF, and the following SA101 Notes Additional Information Notes PDF.

On page 2 of the SA101 form, under "Share schemes and employment lump sums, compensation and deductions", you enter the amounts as instructed on page 15 of the SA101 Notes, for example:

1. Redundancy payment = £20,000. Box 9 = £20,000; Box 5 = blank; Box 6 = blank.

2. Redundancy payment = £40,000. Box 9 = £30,000; Box 5 = £10,000; Box 6 = £2,000 (assuming basic rate tax applied to excess).

perseus

Re: Entering redundancy payments - On Line Self assessment form

Postby perseus » Tue May 18, 2010 4:09 pm

Thanks but this is the on line version.

Anyway, I phoned the IR up this morning and evidently I forgot to tick the box in part 3 titled "Did you receive any other UK income, for example, employment lump sums, share schemes, life insurance gains?" this opens another box which allows you to enter redundancy directly.

Unfortunately this makes the entries far more complex than using the P45 which combined the redundancy and salary, but it works out the same to the nearest pound!

Return to “Income Tax”