This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Middle east

smithy2009
Middle east

Postby smithy2009 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:06 pm

Hi,

Hope you can help me, I left the UK and been working in the middle east since August 2009, I’ve been getting a tax free salary, I’ve paid my salary in a isle of man account & have stayed in the uk for a maximum of 10 days since then . I did submit a P85 form to the tax office when I departed.

Does this period qualify me for being non-resident & the salary being completely tax, if not can anybody recommends an tax advisor?

Any advice would be extremely helpful.

Thanks

Smithy

ensigntaxation

Re: Middle east

Postby ensigntaxation » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:28 pm

Hi Smithy,

How's it going?

Are you currently working under either a full time employment contract or as a contracted consultant? Is this contract with a foreign business?

You mention you've been back to the UK for a max of 10 days. Were these 'working days' or just back to see the family / friends / enjoy the wonderful UK climate?

Cheers
Andy
Andy Wood
DipPFS, ATT, CTA, TEP

Managing Director, Ensign Taxation

0844 272 6117
andy@ensigntaxation.co.uk
[url]http://www.ensigntaxation.co.uk[/url]

smithy2009

Postby smithy2009 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:42 am

Andy,

Thanks for the reply, I am working under a full time employment contract, my days back in the uk was in november 2009, I went back to see my the family.

Smithy

etf

Postby etf » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:43 am

Hi Smithy,

On the basis that you have remained in full-time employment abroad for a complete UK tax year (6 April to 5 April) with only one short return trip back to the UK for a holiday, you should be regarded as not resident and not ordinarily resident for UK tax purposes from the day following the date of your original departure. In these circumstances your non-UK income e,g, salary should escape UK tax.

If you were employed in the UK during the period 6 April 2009 until your departure, a PAYE tax refund should probably have been due to you and this might be worth checking if not yet received.

Payment of voluntary UK national insurance contributions whilst you are working overseas is something you might like to consider.

Kind Regards

etf

http://theexpatriatetaxfactory.com

smithy2009

Postby smithy2009 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:45 am

Many thanks for all advice recieved.

Smithy.

Return to “International Tax”