This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Letting property

K.S.

Postby K.S. » Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:00 am

I am a higher rate taxpayer and my wife has had a flat purchased in her name only for just over 12 months which we have renovated. It has not been lived in for the duration and she has paid the lower local authority Rates throughout this period. She is currently registered as tax exempt in that she receives no income whatsoever. The renovation has cost approximately £1500 without labour and travel expenses. The plan is now for her to rent the property through a letting agent and we would like to know:

a) What is her tax liability in terms of the rent?

b) can the costs outlined above be offset against any tax bill this year?

c)Are there any other tips or advice to minmimise
future tax bills in this connection as we are new to renting property.

Thanks for a great website

Ian McTernan CTA

Postby Ian McTernan CTA » Sat Feb 22, 2003 12:00 am

Pre-letting renovation is not allowable as a deduction. Depending on the type of work involved, you may be able to add some of the cost to the purchase price when calculating CGT payable when sold.

Taxed on rents received less expenses, including the interest element of any mortgage but not cost of repayment or repayment vehicle. She will need to complete a Tax Return and must notify the Revenue of chargeability, the sooner the better.

I would be glad to assist in the completion of the Return in due course.
Regards.

Ian McTernan CTA
email: ian@imcternan.com
McTernan Associates Ltd
Chartered Tax Advisers
Bedford
Email through link on website:
http://www.imcternan.com

Return to “Property Taxation”