This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Working in the UK for an oversea companies, getting paid by bank transfer into UK

danhl
Working in the UK for an oversea companies, getting paid by bank transfer into UK

Postby danhl » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:16 pm

I've been working for a Hong Kong company whilst living in the UK, having already been working for the same company in Hong Kong, moving back to the UK March 2015.

I get paid by bank transfer direct into my UK account, so I'm expecting to have to pay UK Tax and National Insurance. My company has no UK presence, so it's entirely self assessment I suppose. Would I be classed as self-employed, I'm a little unclear on the delineation?

I'm expecting to earn around £35k by the end of this year, and my work related expenses are fairly minimal. I work from home, so the only potentially tax deductible items might be a laptop and internet, would these be eligible? As I understand it rent is out of the question?

As for National Insurance, it seems the only applicable options would be Class 1,2,4, however obviously there's no automatic paying if I come under Class 1. If I am in-fact classed as self-employed, then I guess I'm likely Class 4, as my "profit" would be over £8k given I have virtually no expenses. I'm slightly concerned I should already be paying NI, however https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance/how-much-you-pay mentions "You pay National Insurance with your tax" so perhaps it is subject to the October 2016 deadline which my current year tax is subject to?

Thanks very much for any advice :)

bd6759

Re: Working in the UK for an oversea companies, getting paid by bank transfer into UK

Postby bd6759 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:22 am

You are an employee.
Depending on your role, the company may, through you, have a presence in the UK. If there is a presence, the company in the Uk will need to operate PAYE.
If there is no employer presence, the you, as an employee, will need to operate a simplified for of PAYE collect tax and class 1 NIC.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/when-and-ho ... ent-income

GlobalTaxAdviser

Re: Working in the UK for an oversea companies, getting paid by bank transfer into UK

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:45 pm

Hi

The company may have a permanent establishment in the UK if there is a fixed address or the employee is concluding contracts though it will depend on the double tax treaty. This should be checked first.

In our experience, HMRC realise it is difficult for employees to operate PAYE and may accept quarterly payments for Employee NIC and file a self assessment once a year

Kind Regards

GTA

Return to “General”