This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Using an Isle of Man company?

Liambow
Using an Isle of Man company?

Postby Liambow » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:50 am

Hi guys,

I live in the UK and have my earnings paid directly to my limited company from Ireland (commissions from app sales). So none of my money is "earned", or paid to me from the UK. (I also pay no vat because of eu sales)

My question is simple - can I set up a limited company in the Isle of Man - and have the money paid directly from Ireland to the Isle of Man.

I would like to continue living in the UK - and pay tax only on the money I withdraw as wages from the Isle of Man company. Leaving the remaining (untouched) money in Isle of Man company, where there is no corporation tax.

I have no staff, and no real business, just earnings from app sales. I only use the limited company here to reduce my tax.

Does this sound possible?

The reason for this - apart from saving tax - my apps won't stay popular forever and I'd rather save as much money as I can for when they stop making money. Then I could live off the money saved from corporation tax for years.

I've tried talking to tax advisors / accountants about this - but being in a small town, none of them have the knowledge - so if you can even recommend someone/a company who would have an understanding of the subject - that would be great.

Thanks so much for any help!

Kind regards

L.

GlobalTaxAdviser

Re: Using an Isle of Man company?

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:36 pm

Hi

The problem with Isle of man and any other country is that you cannot run a company from the UK and not end up paying UK Tax on the profits unless of course you have a structure in place in that country where you have directors etc appointed (which is expensive) even then HMRC may catch you out as they will find out its an artificial setup. Th UK domestic laws and the various double tax treaties including the one with Isle of man and UK makes this perfectly clear you pay tax in the place of effective management and control.

If you want to avoid Corporation tax then you may have to move.

Kind Regards

GTA

Liambow

Re: Using an Isle of Man company?

Postby Liambow » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:03 am

Thanks so much for the reply.

I had heard before that you had to live on the island to really get the benefits :-(

I just figured - becuause the money was being earned by an Isle of Man company - and the money wasn't passing though the UK at all (direct Ireland to Isle of Man) the uk wouldn't be able to claim it was taxable.

Thanks again.

Return to “General”