This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Who needs to fill out a tax return?

HAWK3R
Who needs to fill out a tax return?

Postby HAWK3R » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:56 am

I'm studying and working as an accountant but tax returns continue to confuse me.

I know limited companies need to fill out a tax return, as do the self-employed. However I have an employee that is on the payroll and is querying her mileage and gross pay before she uses this information for her tax return.

Why is she filling out a tax return? As a payroll employee I thought this would not have been applicable to her.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

jpcentral

Re: Who needs to fill out a tax return?

Postby jpcentral » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:34 pm

There can be any number of reasons why someone needs to complete a tax return. These may include another source of income such property let, sole trader business, partnership with someone else, large dividend receipts, large employment expenses claim. There may be capital gains to declare. There could have been a pension withdrawal. There may be gift aid payments which could affect higher rate tax. There could have been large pension contributions which affect higher rate tax.

It is not unusual for an employed person to complete a tax return.
John Perry
Central Business Services
Loughborough
http://www.centralbusiness.co.uk

maths

Re: Who needs to fill out a tax return?

Postby maths » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:38 pm

Return to “General”