This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Spouse share gifts

dowles
Spouse share gifts

Postby dowles » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:13 pm

Hi

Can i gift shares between myself and my spouse indefinitely to make maximum use of our tax situations. For example let's assume I have a job that pays £20,000 per year and I receive dividends of £10,000 per year from shares I own. I would therefore have to pay tax on £5000 worth of those shares (taking into account the new £5,000 dividend allowance). However If my spouse does not have a job I could gift those shares to her and thus between us pay no tax. Now if in a couple of years the roles are reversed and I stop working and my spouse gets a job - could she re-gift those shares back to me so we would again continue to pay no tax on this income? Could we then do this as often as we like to continuously take advantage of our current situation?

Thanks

pawncob

Re: Spouse share gifts

Postby pawncob » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:10 pm

Gifts between spouses are exempt from CGT, so no tax arises on the gift. Income is assessable on the current owner of the asset. Yes you can do this.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

bd6759

Re: Spouse share gifts

Postby bd6759 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:20 pm

Gifts between spouses are not exempt, but do not give rise to a gain or a loss. The distinction was important when there was an indexation allowance.

There has to be a point when it becomes clear that gifts are not really being made, but until then you are entitled to managed your assets as you see fit.

Return to “Savings & Investments, Pensions & Retirement”