This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

25% Tax-Free Lump Sum

neil1957
25% Tax-Free Lump Sum

Postby neil1957 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:05 pm

Hello,

I am 59. I had a pension through my company of around 140k. With this, I invested half in commercial property through a SIPP with one company, and put the other 70k into an income drawdown account with Hargreaves. I took 25% of the money invested with Hargreaves as a tax free lump sum. So this means I have only had half of my tax free allowance. Now I want to invest in a rental home abroad. Can I have the other 17.5k tax free from the Hargreaves account, or does it have to come from the commercial property SIPP (in which case I would need to liquidate it first ) ?

Thanks and regards, Neil

LozaACCS

Re: 25% Tax-Free Lump Sum

Postby LozaACCS » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:18 pm

It has to come from the commercial property SIPP, the vesting at different dates is a benefit crystallisation event on each occasion, there is a test against the lifetime allowance on each occasion, from the information supplied there will not be a LA charge

Return to “Savings & Investments, Pensions & Retirement”