This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Setting up a new business alongside existing

greg_b
Setting up a new business alongside existing

Postby greg_b » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:50 pm

Hi all

I currently run a landscaping business, which in 2015 went above the VAT threshold so I had to register.

Since becoming VAT registered, it has had quite a detrimental effect on the business, with us not winning as many residential clients due to the higher price.

I have somebody who currently works for me, who I completely trust and we have often talked about partnering up in either this business or a new venture.

Currently our business turnover is around £85,000 (so not massively over the VAT threshold and close enough to be able to bring it below should we wish).

My employee suggested the idea of setting up a new company, registered in his name and address, with me as a subcontractor, to allow us to take on more clients without having to register as VAT. It was he who then raised the concern that there would be legally nothing to stop him then walking away with a client base built up by the both of us.

Our next thought was to set up a partnership, but wondered if the hmrc would see this as avoidance?

I wonder if anybody would be able to give any guidance on this issue.

Thanks

section 44

Re: Setting up a new business alongside existing

Postby section 44 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:01 pm

Our next thought was to set up a partnership, but wondered if the hmrc would see this as avoidance?
I don' think HMRC would view you and your employee working in partnership as being avoidance.

greg_b

Postby greg_b » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:18 pm

Even if this brought Both companies underneath the threshold? Also there's the issue that at the moment all of the vans and tools etc have been bought under the existing company, so the new company would form with no assets but would have a considerable turnover.

section 44

Postby section 44 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:23 pm

presumably the partnership's turnover would exceed the VAT registration threshold

greg_b

Postby greg_b » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:34 pm

No the idea is that it wouldn't. At the moment my turnover is approximately £85,000 before vat. I can bring this down to below £80,000 (under the threshold). The new company would then have a turnover of approximately £30-40,000 by the end of Its first year

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:26 am

And if business really takes off you can open another company,...and another,... and another...

There are association rules. If you control more than one company the limit will apply to them collectively, not to each individually.

Return to “General”