This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Confused!!!

proequip
Confused!!!

Postby proequip » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:23 pm

Hi all, hoping someone can help, I'm a sole trader and VAT registered. I buy goods from a Spanish company and pay their UK sales team, the goods come from Spain with no VAT.

I add the 20% VAT when I sell on the goods and then pay HMRC that money, get all that bit, but I'm losing money on some deals... Am I missing a link here? Should I be claiming something back??

Example...

I buy item A for £10 no VAT,

Sell for £12 including VAT, pay £2.40 back to HMRC....

Is it just a case of I need bigger margins to make profit?

absolutevat

Re: Confused!!!

Postby absolutevat » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:46 am

When the goods come from the Spanish supplier with no VAT, you are responsible for declaring UK acquisition tax in box 2 on the return. If the goods are standard rated when sold in the UK, this amount will be 20% on the value of the purchase (i.e. £2 on a £10 purchase). The same amount can be recovered as input tax in box 4 of the VAT return.

You then charge VAT on the sale as applicable.

section 44

Postby section 44 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:42 am

Is it just a case of I need bigger margins to make profit?
Yes

spidersong

Postby spidersong » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:44 am

You also need to be sure of your calculations and when you mean inclusive or exclusive:
"Sell for £12 including VAT, pay £2.40 back to HMRC"

If you're selling for £12 inclusive then the VAT would be £2 (£10 net plus £2 VAT) and you'd make nil profit
If you're selling for £12 exclusive then it's £2.40 VAT with a £14.40 gross (VAT inclusive) price, and you'd make a £2 profit.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”