This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Overseas savings to pay off UK mortgage - issue?

zzan
Overseas savings to pay off UK mortgage - issue?

Postby zzan » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:35 am

Hi,
I am a British expat, living and working in Singapore for the last 4 years. I have a property in the UK that I rent out and have a UK mortgage on the property. I have decided that I would like to pay off my UK mortgage with savings I have in Isle of Man/Jersey accounts which I accumulated from my work in Singapore over the last 4 years. However, I want to understand what my UK tax position is if I take this action - will I have to be taxed on the monies I remit into the UK to pay off the UK mortgage? Do note that each year I do file UK tax returns for earnings I make in the UK on property rental, savings and UK shares.
Any advise on this matter would be much appreciated.
Thanks

section 44

Re: Overseas savings to pay off UK mortgage - issue?

Postby section 44 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:54 am

will I have to be taxed on the monies I remit into the UK to pay off the UK mortgage?
no

Return to “General”