This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Pension Annual Allowance Carry over

tmreynolds
Pension Annual Allowance Carry over

Postby tmreynolds » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:03 am

Hi, been working abroad in Dubai for last 4 years, returning to UK now (its snowing in April?!).

Falling foul of the new 150k+ annual allowance changes. I am a top rate tax payer.

I moved my company pension to a SIPP whilst offshore and made no contributions in last 3 years.

I was advised that as i had an active SIPP and made no contributions whilst offshore I can carry over? 50k for 13/14, 40k for 14/15 and 40k for 15/16. So i have essentially 170k i can put in (over 3 years if i prefer) and get top rate tax relief on this 170k

Can someone pls confirm my understanding here as this is obviously a big bonus :shock:

thanks in advance.

LozaACCS

Re: Pension Annual Allowance Carry over

Postby LozaACCS » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:25 pm

You need to be UK resident for at least part of the year and have qualifying UK earnings from which to make the contribution, otherwise yes

tmreynolds

Postby tmreynolds » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:30 pm

I am back resident from June 1, but been non resident for last 4 or 5 years. So from June 1 I can use the carry over from last 3 years? Thx

jason13

Postby jason13 » Wed May 04, 2016 3:08 am

I was advised that as i had an active SIPP and made no contributions whilst offshore I can carry over? 50k for 13/14, 40k for 14/15 and 40k for 15/16. So i have essentially 170k i can put in (over 3 years if i prefer) and get top rate tax relief on this 170k
What you say about "over 3 years if i prefer" is not correct. You can only carry forward each allowance for 3 years. So if you don't use the allowance from 13-14 in 16-17, you'll lose it. You cannot use the 13-14 allowance in 17-18.

So you have to put in 90k this year if you want to make use of your full allowance (40k from 16-17 and 50k for 13-14). And 80k in the next two tax years.

Pay attention to the Life Time Allowance (LTA) which is getting lower and lower.

Also, while not related to pensions: since you were non-resident for only 4 tax years (if I understood correctly), make sure you understand the temporary non-residence rules.

Return to “Savings & Investments, Pensions & Retirement”