This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

resident non/domicile

Wealthy

Postby Wealthy » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:16 pm

You first have to have foreign income that you want exempted from tax, you then apply for non-domicile via DOM1; this can be alongwith your tax return. You cannot apply beforehand, only when such an eventuality has arisen.

I am not sure what happens next - does the Revenue issue some kind of certificate confirming your non-domicile status or give a written ruling? And how long does it take? I know of someone who submitted a DOM1 five months ago and has not heard anything at all.

Regarding exchange of information, surely that happens from 1st July.

dogsdinner

Postby dogsdinner » Fri May 09, 2008 11:59 pm

Hello Jerry,

My mother who is in her eighties, ownes a property worth several million in the UK, she was born in the channel islands and has property there, she can domicile back to the Islands and after 3 years she will avoid inheritance tax. But suppose she cannot sell her UK property before she returns to the Islands? Will the property be subject to tax if she does not sell it before she leaves?

Alternatively if she decided to stay in the Uk could she set up a company to protect the property form inheritance tax, and if so would the company have to buy it and stamp duty paid?

Thank you

johnbuchmiller

Re: resident non/domicile

Postby johnbuchmiller » Fri May 06, 2016 8:58 am

My wife is an accountant and tells me that there is nothing you can do to prove that you are not domiciled.HMRC will always look at your situation holistically, so no two cases will be the same. If they don't agree with you then your only option is to go to court and consult IRS Lawyer.You may find this helpful.

maths

Postby maths » Fri May 06, 2016 7:43 pm

My wife is an accountant and tells me that there is nothing you can do to prove that you are not domiciled.
This is incorrect.

johnbuchmiller

Postby johnbuchmiller » Sat May 07, 2016 9:23 am

Contact Chicago IRS Lawyer they definitely help you.

Return to “General”