This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Cashing in a pension

Kabby
Cashing in a pension

Postby Kabby » Tue May 17, 2016 9:20 pm

Hi all, I am a self employed Taxi Driver(sole trader) who fills in a self assessment tax form every year. My "working" year runs from August to July, so I usually fill in the return at the end of July. I also include income received from a rental property, but these figures relate to 4 April to 5 April. I have two pensions and now I am 55 I am thinking of cashing them in one is worth about £6500 and the other about £30000. I believe that the providers deduct the tax due from the 75% at scource and pay HMRC
My question is do I need to do anything? Do I have to declare it on the self assessment?
Any advice would be much appreciated Thanks in advance

LozaACCS

Re: Cashing in a pension

Postby LozaACCS » Thu May 19, 2016 8:52 pm

You do need to declare it on your tax return
Have you taken advice, there may be more attractive options then those you have stated.

robbob

Re: Cashing in a pension

Postby robbob » Fri May 20, 2016 9:23 am

It is probably in your interests to avoid tax at 40% if possible.

If your income exceeds 42385 this year anything above that will be liable to higher rate tax.As you say 75% of the gorss value will be your "taxable income" add that too your slef employed profit and if that exceeds 42385 you may want to wait till the following year to cash 1 or part (may not be possible) of the pension in.

Return to “Savings & Investments, Pensions & Retirement”