This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Service company/intermediary in the UK but shipping to EU

sarahcroft2016
Service company/intermediary in the UK but shipping to EU

Postby sarahcroft2016 » Thu May 05, 2016 10:40 am

Hello,

Could someone help me with a confusing situation.

I have been working with a company in the UK for over a year, and this company is a UK company and registered for VAT. My company is not registered for VAT.

Basically I make the sales through my own website and then ask the printing company to process the order and then ship direct to the customer, which they then charge me for this service. On every sale we make they charge me VAT regardless of where they send it to, UK, EU, US or the rest of the world. I was totally ok with this as my thoughts where that the sale is between me and the printing company.

However, I have now just started using a new company who is also registered in the UK and VAT registered, and have just processed an EU sale through them and they have not charged me VAT on this sale, but they did charge me VAT on the UK sale. Now I am totally confused as to the correct treatment?

I have searched the Web for a few hours now and can not really find anything which explains this for me.

I hope someone can help.

Kindest regards,

RMC

Re: Service company/intermediary in the UK but shipping to EU

Postby RMC » Sun May 22, 2016 6:10 pm

Do the “printing company” charge only a fee for processing your orders, with customers paying your company, or do they receive money from customers and pass it on to you, less their handling fee? Or is there some other arrangement?

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”