This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Family Business Abroad

Tango888
Family Business Abroad

Postby Tango888 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:57 pm

Hi everyone,

Looking for some tax advice. I am uk domicile and work and pay tax here. I also have family in Hong Kong. My grandfather, when he was alive, built a portfolio of property in HK which the family company receives a decent annual rental income. Tax etc is paid by the company.

My queries are as follows:
1. My uncles are wanting to split the net cash received amongst the family on a monthly basis, so I'm wondering if that would be taxable?
2. If it is seen as a monthly gift, does that make this money exempt?
3. Lastly, I need to do self assessment tax return, do I need to declare this gift/income? And what back up do I need to go down the gift route?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Tango

pawncob

Re: Family Business Abroad

Postby pawncob » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:44 pm

How is it paid to you? Is it a dividend? Do you have shares in the company? Do your uncles? Are they gifting the money to you or are you entitled?
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Tango888

Postby Tango888 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:18 pm

Thanks for replying. Not entirely sure to be honest. Cash is distributed to family after expenses, so I presume that is classed as dividends? I see it more as a gift or inheritance, is there a test I can go through to determine this?

My uncles will be paying cash to my HK bank account but obviously not if I have to pay tax.

Tango

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:32 pm

Ask them the relevant questions.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “General”