This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

I have 2 jobs both casual/PAYE , I think I am being taxed too much but not sure?

revolver96
I have 2 jobs both casual/PAYE , I think I am being taxed too much but not sure?

Postby revolver96 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:38 pm

Hi all,

I am currently employed by 2 recruitment agencies, where I do odd 'temping' office work here and there, This week I am in a full week (5 day) role, but I usually do no more than 3 days a week.

I get paid by the hour as it's temping, so do not get sick leave and do not get paid if I take any lunch breaks etc. It's strictly pay as you earn.

I also work for a promotional agency which is also on a casual PAYE basis, I work for them approximately 4-5 days every month.

With all of these three combined, I am not on as much as £11,000 a year.

I do not understand much about tax codes, however I am aware that I cannot be on the code '1100L' for more than one job. So at the moment, HMRC have decided to put my promotional job as the 1100L code, as they are seeing it as my main job - so I do not get taxed for that.

Last week I did two days temp work for one of the recruitment agencies that i''m registered with and I saw on my payslip i've been put on the BR tax code, deducting 20% from my pay. Considering It was only 2 days work on £8 an hour it seems a lot to be taken away..

Is this right? Should I be paying that?

I have done a little research online and some people have mentioned splitting tax codes and some say not to.

I feel frustrated and silly, but i'm new to employment and for some odd reason we are not taught any of this at college or school - so I am trying to educate myself as I go! :shock:

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

jpcentral

Re: I have 2 jobs both casual/PAYE , I think I am being taxed too much but not sure?

Postby jpcentral » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:08 am

Ultimately it should sort itself out but that is likely to take some considerable time, certainly well into next year.

HMRC will ultimately receive the PAYE information from all three employers, put them together, recalculate the tax and send you back any overpayment.

HMRC don't know what your work pattern is so do not make in year adjustments based on what happened last week or last month.

If you can roughly estimate what you are likely to be paid from each job, you could ask HMRC to adjust (split) your tax codes accordingly. there may still be an adjustment after the year end but this probably won't be as great.
John Perry
Central Business Services
Loughborough
http://www.centralbusiness.co.uk

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”