This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

SDLT Transfer of Equity

gaggarwal1981
SDLT Transfer of Equity

Postby gaggarwal1981 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:56 am

My wife and I own our mortgaged property purchased in 2009 that we currently live in.

I also own a second property purchased in 2007 which is my buy to let. As I am a higher tax rate payer, I decided to transfer 50% equity to my wife who is a lower tax rate payer to be more tax efficient. There will be no cash exchange.

The property purchase price was £174K, it is now valued at £203K with an outstanding mortgage of 120K.

I have been advised by solicitor that my wife will have to pay 3% on the full outstanding mortgage whereas my accountant has advised me that my wife will only have to pay 3% on her share of the mortgage meaning 3% of 60K.

I have called HMRC and the advisor advised me that they have not come across this scenario before which seemed odd to me. They requested I write to Birmingham Stamp Office.

I would welcome any advice or guidance regarding whether stamp duty is liable and at what rate.

Kind Regards,

Aaron.

maths

Re: SDLT Transfer of Equity

Postby maths » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:54 pm

Unless provided otherwise she will be assumed to have effectively taken on 50% of the mortgage and this is the amount upon which SDLT is charged.

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”