This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

VAT and the FRS

vathelp
VAT and the FRS

Postby vathelp » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:01 pm

Hi all,

I've got a bit of a query that I can't get my head around and hope that someone could maybe help me ?

I bought a house 10 years ago and after living in it for 5 years I rented it it out for 4 years. During this time I was employed on a PAYE basis.

However, I recently set up a business partnership as I was made redundant about a year ago. The partnership is involved with building disabled ramps.

That's the back round out of the way !!

I have personally done some work on the property and am now going to sell it. However, I have just registered for VAT and I don't know whether the house sale will be viewed as a business sale, even though it isn't anything to do with the partnership - except of course I am one of the partners ?

The reason I ask is that although the sale would be exempt of VAT, I am considering joining the VAT Flat Rate Scheme, but the Flat rate turnover includes exempt supplies and so would see me paying a lot of 'extra' VAT unnecessarily as opposed to paying VAT when not on the FRS ?

I've turned it over and over but can't seem to decide one way or the other.

Thank you,

R

LozaACCS

Re: VAT and the FRS

Postby LozaACCS » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:23 pm

It will not be a business sale so whilst the supply is prima facie exempt (I would suggest it is outside the scope rather than exempt) then there are no VAT issues

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”