This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Help, getting very stressed

KarenJ
Help, getting very stressed

Postby KarenJ » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:34 am

My husband and I stupidly decided a couple of years ago to start a business working from home. My husband had some money from a house sale so we used that to buy computers, desks etc and set up at home. My husband is a graphic designer and as I had experience in telesales we thought we could get it to work. We had given up our jobs to work from home, but after a couple of months, and not getting any work we decided we had to stop because we didn't have any money to pay our rent etc. I paid myself a wage out of the money in the bank, which was from the house sale and not from the business, because we needed to pay bills. after a few months we closed the company down through companies house (yes we started straight away as a limited company without knowing what we were doing)

We thought that was it, but now have received a bill from the tax office debt management department stating that if we do not pay £207 tax due they will send enforcement officers around. Panic!!!! We had received a couple of letter previously but being stressed just put them in the drawer ;-( Silly I know.

Both myself and my husband suffer with depression and I suffer also from borderline personality disorder and he suffers with bad nerves after having a breakdown a few years ago. We are both in a lot of debt so struggle with money and cannot afford to pay this £207 which probably doesn't sound a lot to some people but to us it is huge. I am not sure what to do, I have just written a letter to HMRC but the last time I sent them a letter they said they hadn't received it. It is really difficult to find an address to send it to, so want to make sure I find the correct address. I am starting to get really worried now. I don't want to let my husband know how bad it is as he is not very good at the moment, and think it might tip him over the edge. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Is there a way to sort this out, even if we have to pay so much a month, which will be tight as already paying some of our debts monthly and don't have much spare cash so would probably have to come out of our food money.

Not sure if put this on the correct page.

Help!!!

section 44

Re: Help, getting very stressed

Postby section 44 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:47 pm

if we do not pay £207 tax due
Who owes the tax? you, your husband, your company, somebody else?

maths

Re: Help, getting very stressed

Postby maths » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:46 pm

The letters you say you received will have addresses and possibly a contact number. Call them and explain your position.

Are you sure you haven't received other communications from HMRC?

You could try Citizens Advice Bureau for help.

Return to “General”