This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Reclaiming Vat before Registration

cs101
Reclaiming Vat before Registration

Postby cs101 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:01 pm

Hello Everyone!!
Can I claim Vat on my Van for the repairs done on it. I have all the receipts for the six months before the registration, The van is used for courier business . How about my mobile phone and fuel used in this business? This will be my First VAT return to be submitted online . Please help.

les35

Re: Reclaiming Vat before Registration

Postby les35 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:01 pm

Pre-registration input tax is limited to:
- services purchased up to 6 months prior to the date of registration; and
- goods purchased up to 4 years prior to registration, as long as those goods are on hand at deregistration. In terms of road fuel, you can only claim VAT on a single tank of petrol/diesel.
(Can I assume you have not changed legal entity? If so, then the rules are different!)

cs101

Postby cs101 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:56 pm

Thanks les35,
I am trading on my same sole name even after registration of VAT. I am using the same van from last 6 years but I had purchased this Van as vat free. I have got the vat receipts of the parts purchased for this van. I understand now about the fuel but will go ahead with claiming the vat on my mobile phone and the repairs done on it for 6 months before I registered for VAT.

section 44

Postby section 44 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:14 am

as long as those goods are on hand at deregistration
?

gusmac12

Postby gusmac12 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:52 pm

Am I correct that you cannot reclaim VAT before registration if you are under the Flat Rate Scheme?

spidersong

Postby spidersong » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:19 pm

No you're not correct. Pre-reg expenses are claimed under Regulation 111 of the VAT regulations and although treated as Input Tax they are not Input Tax so the input tax restrictions under FRS do not apply to pre-reg.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”