This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Static Caravan Tax

RME
Static Caravan Tax

Postby RME » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:43 pm

Hi,

My wife and I are purchasing a static caravan on a holiday park and we are a little unsure of the income tax situation.
I've found lots of information about what things are deductible under the furnished holiday lettings act, but we will not qualify as we only want to let it out for a few weeks to cover our costs.
My question is, how is the rental income treated when the furnished holiday lettings act doesn't apply? i.e. can we deduct site fees/ground rent/advertising etc. from the rental income such that we only pay tax on the profit (if any)?

Sorry if this is a basic question, but out tax affairs have always been relatively simple (salaried employees, PAYE etc), so never even had to fill in a self assessment form.

bd6759

Re: Static Caravan Tax

Postby bd6759 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:01 pm

You can only deduct the costs that you incur in connection with the letting, so it will be a proportion of site fees incurred whilst it is let, but all of the advertising.

RME

Postby RME » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:33 am

Thanks bd6759,

So if the caravan is actually let for say 20 days a year. I can deduct (20/365) x (ground rent + fees etc) + advertising from what I receive and pay income tax at the marginal rate on the remainder?

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:58 pm

That;s right, But at a push, it this was really a business, you could claim the ground rent for the period that it was available for rent even if not actually rented. If you decided that you would rent it out every July and August, advertised it as available in those months, and never used it yourself in that period, you could claim 2/12ths.

Return to “Property Taxation”