This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Dividing primary residential property CGT implication?

James T
Dividing primary residential property CGT implication?

Postby James T » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:14 pm

My main residence has 2 smaller buildings within its boundary, which were effectively unvalued when I purchased my house nearly 20 years ago. One has now been restored and is currently occupied, (but has always been liable to residential council tax), the other, a barn, is currently being assessed for conversion. All 3 buildings are currently on one Land Certificate. My 2 questions are:
1. If I separate the 2 buildings each onto their own Land Certificate and sell them, I presumably incur a cgt liability. How would I determine their initial value, since they were not valued (for mortgage purposes) when I purchased the property but are now advisedly worth up to £300K each.
2. Is there a more tax efficient route I should be considering?

Return to “Property Taxation”