This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

vat on international royalties income rec'd by a UK company

LMT
vat on international royalties income rec'd by a UK company

Postby LMT » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:15 pm

Hi - i'm doing the vat for a small limited company (record label) - they have rec'd international royalty income. i am not sure if this should have VAT included as 1/6th on the return? i have no paperwork to help me, no invoice (they never seem to receive anything, the £ just appears in their bank account!) - it will include some EU sales and mainly America plus a few smaller amounts from elsewhere.

les35

Re: vat on international royalties income rec'd by a UK company

Postby les35 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:03 pm

I would expect that the royalties will fall within the B2B General Rule. But you should seek confirmation that the payers are in business. Ideally, of course, you will be able to track down the contract that provides for royalty payments, and get their EU VAT numbers.
Of couse if HMRC identify the income, they may assess you at the standard rate, and expect you to prove them wrong!

LMT

Re: vat on international royalties income rec'd by a UK company

Postby LMT » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:39 pm

thanks. i've since been advised its for eu sales only, on digital sales only

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”