This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Self build timing the finance and CGT

Raviroo
Self build timing the finance and CGT

Postby Raviroo » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:26 pm

Hi
I have Planning permission to build a home for myself and my family on some garden land at the said of my PPR (main home and nominated as such).
However, I can't afford to build it without selling my main home.
so the plan is to use savings to get the new home to watertight stage and then sell my main home. Whilst that sale is going through to completion, after exchange of contracts, then to finish the interior of the new build, paying at the end , when the new house is completed.
Then, move into the new house allowing the monies to be paid to the builder after completion. I think there will be about 6 week's to two month's difference in the gap between the sale completing on the old home and downloading the cash and then the builder completing the new home and then me paying him and living there.
I read somewhere that if you put a fence in-between the two homes -you are liable for CGT.

Can anyone help me understand if what I am doing -the order of events is still going to be free of CGT or anything else. The new home will be my main home forever, after that.

Or is there a better way of doing this?

Thanks

LozaACCS

Re: Self build timing the finance and CGT

Postby LozaACCS » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:31 am

The CGT liability derives from the gain arising on the sale of the original property, if the garden(s) formed part of the main residence and were within the permitted area (0.5 hectares), I cannot see a problem, perhaps you should provide more details on the associated land

Return to “Property Taxation”