This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Best use of tax allowances for rental properties

ndobson1b
Best use of tax allowances for rental properties

Postby ndobson1b » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:59 am

Hello,

First post here.....i am looking for some advice on rental income / property ownership.

So i own 3 properties, (Main residence in joint names with my wife and jointly mortgaged, 2 rental properties both in my sole name and with mortgages in my name only).

My wife is currently not working and i would like to make use of her tax allowances as i am a higher rate earner, what are our options? few additional details below:

- Wife is not employed and therefore would not be able to get a BTL mortgage on her own
- Property 1 is valued at 240k
- Property 2 at valued at 275k

What are my options here? reading around the subject i have a couple of options and i wish to avoid ant stamp duty and plan to hold the properties for a long period of time, rental income combined is in excess of 25k per annum.

Thanks in advance
Nick

SteLacca

Re: Best use of tax allowances for rental properties

Postby SteLacca » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:46 pm

You can gift 50% of the properties to your wife with no SDLT or CGT implications. Gifts between spouses are tax free.

Then half of the income is hers, reducing the tax rate on her share to 20% and introducing an additional £11,000 tax-free element.

bd6759

Re: Best use of tax allowances for rental properties

Postby bd6759 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:56 pm

That depends if the lender will allow him to dispose of half the property without making his wife a party to the loans.

Return to “Property Taxation”