This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

New Business aquisition

donnieg
New Business aquisition

Postby donnieg » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:08 pm

Hi
A Newbie here so looking for some Tax advice. I am to buy a business in 3 annual instalments. Can anyone offer some suggestions on keeping down the tax I pay on the transaction. I am buying a Ltd company as the owner is retiring (I will be a sole trader). Having looked around it appears I may have to pay VAT up front on whole transaction rather than annually when lump sum is paid to previous owner. Is this correct as I have not budgeted for this. Any suggestions???
D

les35

Re: New Business aquisition

Postby les35 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:13 pm

If you are buying a business the TOGC rules should apply, so that the transaction is VAT free. You will need to make sure the various conditions are fulfilled. Ideally the contract for your purchase of the business will provide for this arrangement.
The fact that payments are made in installments will not affect this.

donnieg

Postby donnieg » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:28 pm

Hi
Thanks for the reply, it has set my mind at rest and clarified a point.

section 44

Postby section 44 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:17 am

If you are buying a business the TOGC rules should apply
I am buying a Ltd company
Are you buying a business (i.e. assets etc) or shares in a company? If the latter then the TOGC rules are not in point but in any event VAT is not due on share transfers.
I will be a sole trader
If, as you said earlier, you are buying a company then how do you propose to extract the business from that company?

donnieg

Postby donnieg » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:02 pm

IT is an asset purchase agreement, not buying the company

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:00 am

I am buying a Ltd company
IT is an asset purchase agreement, not buying the company
You need to be clear about this.

donnieg

Postby donnieg » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:53 am

My original post having looked at it again does confuse things but it is an asset purchase and definitely not the company, both parties are clear about this. Thanks

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”