This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Do I have a P45 to give my new employer?

asterakis
Do I have a P45 to give my new employer?

Postby asterakis » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:43 pm

I moved in UK on March and I have been working since April. In 3 weeks time I will go to another company. As I read, I have to give my new employer my P45, will i get one from my current employer or I don't have own from the moment i wasn't in UK the previous tax year?
If I have one and if my current employer give me my P45 what shall i do in order not to give My P45 to my new employer? I don't want them to know my salary.Is there any way to give them only my taxation code without any other detail?
Thank you very much!

SteLacca

Re: Do I have a P45 to give my new employer?

Postby SteLacca » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:03 pm

You can either give them the P45, or don't and simply sign a new starter declaration selecting certificate B or C (to suit your circumstances). Tax code 1100L W1/M1 or 0T will be operated. Without handing over the P45 there is no option to give them just the tax code.

It's probably worth noting that HMRC will likely write to them with your correct tax code, including, crucially, details of earnings and tax paid since 6 April.

asterakis

Postby asterakis » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:10 pm

Thank you very much for your answer.
If i send my P45 to the HMRC with a letter asking them not to send any details about my salary but only my taxation code you think that will work?

SteLacca

Postby SteLacca » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:18 pm

No, because PAYE normally relies on cumulative pay and tax figures since the preceding 6 April to work properly. The exception is where a tax code in use is on a week 1/month 1 basis, when cumulative figures are not used, but there's no guarantee that your tax will be correct at the end of the tax year and an adjustment may be required.

If it's really that important that your new employer doesn't have details, then you can ask HMRC not to issue a corrected tax code, which means that the week 1/month 1 basis will continue until April 2017 (from which normal service will be resumed), but you may have further tax to pay or a refund due.

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:13 pm

If you send the P45 to HMRC and tell them not to disclose your earnings to your new employer, they will comply with your request. They will keep you on a Mth 1 code until the end of the tax year.

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”