This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Any time Limit on Claiming Capital Losses

mwgregg
Any time Limit on Claiming Capital Losses

Postby mwgregg » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:58 pm

I incurred a loss of £130,000, investing in US Tech stocks between 2000 and 2005; all of the stock was purchased in 1999/2000 and sold between 2000 and 2005.
Do HMRC have any time cutoff to offset these losses against future capital gains?
I have recorded these losses each year on my Self Assessment Tax Return
I AM SELLING A UK buy to let property which I acquired in 2000 for £65000, for a price circa £180000.
My questions will I be able to offset the loss on Stock investment against the Capital gain on the Investment Property

bibescu

Re: Any time Limit on Claiming Capital Losses

Postby bibescu » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:28 am

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manual ... al/cg15810
,,any balance must be carried forward without time limit and deducted from chargeable gains accruing in the earliest later year''.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”